Having children at weddings is a very controversial (and touchy!) subject. So do you? Or don’t you?
It is likely that you will have close family members that are children and you will want them to be there and if you don’t then you have nothing to worry about!
Some couples decide that for the day guests, only close children will be allowed because this cuts costs and also allows the adults to enjoy the day without having to prevent their kid(s) from creating mass destruction, especially during the speeches. That being said some children are very well behaved and this wouldn’t cause any problems.
If guests are desperate to bring their children you could allow them as an evening guest by which time most people will be very drunk and will be acting like kids themselves!
Some of these ideas can be set up in a separate room (if available) or in a gazebo which allows the children to have their own space.
To the point, you pick your guests as it’s your day but don’t feel bad if you decide not to invite your 7 nieces, 4 nephews, 6 cousins and 12 of your best friend’s children…
More to the point, if you are inviting them how will you keep them entertained (especially during speeches)?
Here are a few ideas…
- Activity Packs– these are a great way to occupy children whilst waiting for food to be served, during speeches and throughout the day. They can include, colouring pages and pencils, word searches, bubbles, bouncy balls and even eye-spy sheets!
- Bouncy Castle- not just for the little kids. You will find that adults will need to have a bounce despite the fact that they are probably not allowed on it!
- Garden Games– especially big versions like jenga and Conect4 will keep children entertained for a couple of hours (depending on their ever so short attention span)
- Soft Play Area– For those younger kids a soft play area is ideal as they will more than likely fall over every 30 seconds. This go down really well with ball pits too!
- Crèche- Hiring in professional babysitters will work really well as this gives everyone the chance to enjoy the day- adults know the kids are safe and happy and the children are having a great time!
- Quiet corner– a fantastic place to keep the children when it starts to get late. They can crash here and get some well needed rest instead of uncomfortably flopping themselves over a parents lap. (Normally supervised by the professional babysitters)
- Magician- kids love magic and it would be a great way of keeping the amused whilst the speeches take place
- Candy Cart– because what child doesn’t love sweets! You will find that they will be crowded around here quite often as well as adults too!
- Photo Booth– this be enjoyed by all guests and is also a great idea for a guest book, they take one copy and the other gets stuck in a book!
Hope these ideas were helpful,
"We had our wedding at Thief Hall and it was perfect right down to the last detail. The entire team at Thief Hall are amazing! Thank you so much for an unforgettable weekend!”
- Wayne & Louise Morton
“We have had the most wonderful time here, celebrating our wedding! Everyone has been fantastic and the cottages are utterly stunning; everyone of our family and friends loved it. Thank you so much for making our wedding so special!”
- Danielle & Steven Bell
“I don't know where to start!! The most perfect venue for our wedding! A total blank canvas to work with and so much scope to make your wedding personal!”
- Lizzie James
“What can we say! Jess and Phil are outstanding! The attention to detail, support and service from the day we booked 18 months ago right up until now has been faultless.”
- Dan & David Whitelock
“OMG! Me and Ollie have had the best wedding ever, you have made it just perfect. Jess and the team, we could not have asked for more. Thank you se very much from the bottom of our hearts. All of our love and thanks xx”
- Ollie & Chelsie Anderson
“To Jessica, Katy and all the amazing team, Thank you so much for all of your help to make our wedding day so special! You helped everything flow so smoothly and couldn’t have been more helpful and attentive. All our guests loved a Cottages and it made such a difference celebrating with everyone together all weekend. Thief Hall is a really stunning venue and you and the team do an amazing job making the wedding is truly spectacular for everyone. Thank you for all your hard work”
- Caroline and Paul
“To Hannah and Jess, Thank you very much for everything. Our wedding couldn’t have gone any smoother, there wasn’t a single hair out of place you were amazing. Everyone of our guests complimented on the venue and the way everything was arranged and organised. This weekend has just been magical. We are both still on cloud nine. It has been a photo of a wedding from start to finish. A big massive thank you to Jessica, you are a dream. You have made this weekend the happiest of our entire life. You are a superstar, Hannah, you looked after Stevie and I from start to finish, we couldn’t have asked for a better wedding planner. You kept me calm throughout the day and always check that we had everything in hand. Once again thank you for the special weekend/wedding day XXX”
- Debbie and Stevie
“Jessica and all in the amazing team at Thief Hall, what can we say? Thank you so much for an amazing weekend. Our wedding was everything we dreamed of and more. You guys were amazing from start to finish & we can't thank you enough. For such a popular venue with weddings more weekends and mid-weeks you do everything to make the bride and groom feel so special. There were so many extra thoughtful touches that made the weekend so special. Jess, You are some kind of wizard in keeping the day running so smoothly and thinking of things that we completely over looked. Our guests had the best day yesterday and those staying in the cottages and glamping tents all said how wonderful everything was. The welcome hampers are a lovely touch. We can't wait to come back and perhaps have a slightly more relaxed stay! Thank you SO SO much!!!!”
- Gavin and Helen
“Thank you so much for all the hard-work over the last 9 months and for always being there for us with any query or question we had! This weekend has been a dream come true (a wacky very colourful dream but a dream of ours!) and your "blank canvas" made the perfect backdrop for it all to take place! From dropping of car loads on the Thursday to supporting us on the Friday, from stealthily making out day run like clockwork to allowing us to stay an extra night on the Sunday to enjoy the beautiful sunset! you guys have all been amazing! We thank you all a million times over!”
- Sam and Will
Get in touch
Join us on Social Media
@thiefhall | #thiefhall